Hello Fellow Food Junkie Followers,
Today I am sharing with you a southern-style buttermilk cornbread. Cornbread is a great side dish/bread to have with many types of meals. Most people will have it with beans, soups, stews, or just with a good southern meal as their bread. We also use it to make dressing at Thanksgiving time.
One of the main things that make southern-style buttermilk cornbread different from the rest is how it is cooked. It all starts with a preheated oven and a preheated cast iron pan. You put your oil in the pan and throw it in the oven while it is preheating. Once it is hot, you add your batter to it. This causes the crust of the cornbread to crisp up giving you a golden brown crunchy texture. Look below for the video on how to make it and the recipe as well.
Southern Style Buttermilk Cornbread
- 1 teaspoon Vegtable shorting or oil
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Self-Rising flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal You can use Yellow or White. It is up to your preface.
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup vegtable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Preparing Skillet and The Oven
- Start by preheating your oven to 350.
- Add butter and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to an 8 to 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Place cast-iron skillet in the oven while the oven preheats.
Cornbread Batter mix
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, add in eggs and whisk. Stir in buttermilk and Vegetable oil.
- Add in Cornmeal, flour, and sugar.
- Mix until all ingredients are combined and there are no lumps.
- The batter should be similar to a pancake batter. Thick but pourable. If it is too thin, add a little cornmeal at a time. If too thick, add in a little milk until it is to the right consistency.
- Grab the hot cast iron pan from the oven. Tilt the pan back and forth to coat the bottom of the pan. Set the pan on a level surface.
- Pour batter into the hot cast-iron skillet.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- When Golden Brown, remove from oven. Flip cake of cornbread over on a plate, pan, or dish towel that is bigger than the cast iron skillet.
- Slice and enjoy. Butter and honey go great on top of hot southern style cornbread!