Are you searching for a hassle-free yet incredibly satisfying dinner option that your family will rave about? Look no further than our Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli over Rice recipe. This dish is the epitome of comfort food, combining tender chicken, vibrant broccoli florets, and a lusciously creamy sauce that’s incredibly easy to prepare.
The magic happens in your slow cooker, allowing the flavors to meld together as you go about your day. When it’s time to serve, you’ll have a delightful aroma and a mouthwatering dish that pairs perfectly with fluffy rice. Get ready to elevate your weeknight dinner game with this delicious and convenient recipe that will have everyone asking for seconds.
Why I Love Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli
This recipe, y’all, it’s as hearty and fillin’ as they come. It’s the kind of dish you can enjoy all year round, it doesn’t matter if it’s hotter than a jalapeño in July or colder than a polar bear’s toenails. Let me tell ya, it’s got more flavor than a Sunday potluck, and our young’uns can’t seem to get enough of it. It is one of our favorite slow cooker meals that we love to make.
Now, what really sets my heart a flutter for this dish is the creamy, cheesy sauce that the chicken is cooked in. It’s a real treat, especially when it’s one of them busy weeknights. Among all the slow cooker recipes we’ve tried, this one’s the real belle of the ball. It’s got everything you need, y’all: plenty of protein, veggies, and carbs to keep you goin’. This dish can be a side dish or a one-pot dish because It is a complete meal.
A Fan of the Slow Cooker
Anytime I can use the slow cooker to cook a meal, I do it. I love slow cooking my meals because the meal can cook low and slow while I am at work and it reduces the cooking time that I have to actively do. It just makes the cooking process so much better.
If you are a fan of slow cooker meals like I am, give these other slow cooker meals a whirl, like Sweet Baby Ray’s Crockpot Chicken, Easy Slow Cooker Beef and Bean Chili recipe, Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup, or Southern-Style Crock Pot Mac and Cheese.
How To Make Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Broccoli
There are just a few simple ingredients for this easy crock pot chicken meal. The ingredients and cooking process will be listed here and the amounts will be listed in the printable recipe down below near the bottom.
- Chicken: I prefer to use skinless boneless chicken breasts but you can also use skinless boneless chicken thighs.
- Chicken Broth or Chicken Stock
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Cream Cheese: Softened at room temperature.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: I prefer sharp cheddar cheese because it gives a good tang which pairs well with the other flavors of this dish. Save a little bit for garnishing the dish at the end after you ladle it into bowls.
- Broccoli: You can use frozen broccoli florets or fresh broccoli florets.
- Salt: For the best taste, use kosher salt or sea salt. Idonize salt or table salt can give the dish an off taste.
- Garlic powder
- Black Pepper
- Rice: This recipe calls for long-grain white rice. For a low-carb option, you can substitute brown rice or cauliflower rice.
- Optional: Cajun Seasoning for a bit more flavor and a little kick of heat.
- Slow Cooker (crock Pot)
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Large Spoon and Ladle
- Large Bowl
- Step 1. Grab your slow cooker and turn it on to start heating it up.
- Step 2: In a large bowl, pour chicken broth and cream of chicken, cheddar soup, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and whisk together. (This can also be done in the Slow cooker (crock pot) if you prefer).
- Step 1: Add chicken to the crock pot and pour the sauce over top of the chicken. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 6 hours on low, or cook for 3 hours on high.
- Step 2: Once the chicken is done, use a fork to shred the chicken apart.
- Step 3: Add the softened cream cheese to the slow cooker and whisk it in as it melts until it is nice and incorporated.
- Step 1: Steam broccoli until fork tender. I like using frozen Steamfresh broccoli as I can heat it up in the microwave while I am cooking the rice. You can also add the broccoli to the crock pot about a 1/2 hour before the chicken is done to cook it all together.
- Step 2: If using the Steamfresh broccoli, add the tender broccoli to the Slow cooker.
- Step 1: Cook rice according to the rice package either on the stovetop, rice cooker, or instant pot.
Add the rice to a bowl and ladle the Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli over the rice for a delicious and hearty meal. Garnish with cheddar cheese.
In summary, our Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli over Rice recipe is the ultimate easy and satisfying dinner choice. This comfort food masterpiece combines tender, moist chicken, vibrant broccoli, and a creamy sauce, all effortlessly prepared in your slow cooker. When it’s time to serve, you’ll be met with a delicious aroma and a dish that pairs perfectly with fluffy rice.
Elevate your weeknight dinner game with this recipe that’s sure to leave your whole family asking for seconds. Next time you are looking for an easy weeknight meal, make sure you give this one a try. It is such an easy dinner idea.
While it is generally recommended to thaw chicken beforehand for safety reasons, you can use frozen chicken breast in this recipe. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time as it may take longer to cook the frozen chicken breast and/or thighs.
Yes, while I love the tang of sharp cheddar cheese in this dish, you could also use mild cheddar, Monterey Jack, or even parmesan to suit your taste.
I recommend storing leftovers in an airtight container. I prefer to put the leftover rice in the bottom of the container and pour the remaining chicken and broccoli mixture over the top of it. This will help the rice from drying out. This should last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
To reheat, spoon out the amount that you wish to reheat in a microwave bowl with a lid. Add just a little bit of water to the bottom and microwave it until it is heated. The water will help put moisture back into the rice so it isn’t crunchy and is soft and tender again.
Yes, you can make this dish on the stovetop or even in the instant pot. You will just have to adjust the times for cooking.
If you like a little bit more heat, you can add in some crushed red pepper. This will also give it a pretty contrasting color. Another way is to add in a little bit of hot sauce such as Texas Petes or Franks Red Hot.
While using boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs is recommended for simplicity for this dish, you can use bone-in chicken if you prefer. Just make sure to adjust your cooking time and ensure the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. You will also have to add additional time for deboning or picking the meat.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (can substitute for thighs)
- 16 oz of chicken broth (half of a box of chicken broth)
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 8oz package of softened cream cheese
- 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can of cheddar cheese soup
- 6 cups of frozen or fresh broccoli florets ( The frozen Steamfresh broccoli works great for this recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 2 cups of long grain white rice (brown rice or cauliflower rice for low-carb substitutions)
- Cajun Seasoning
Step 1. Grab your slow cooker and turn it on to start heating it up.
Step 2: In a large bowl, pour chicken broth, cream of chicken, cheddar cheese soup, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk ingredients together. (This can also be done in the crock pot if you prefer).
Step 1: Add chicken to the crock pot and pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 6 hours on low, or cook for 3 hours on high.
Step 2: Once the chicken is done, use a fork to shred the chicken apart.
Step 3: Add the softened cream cheese and whisk it in until it is nice and incorporated.
Step 1: Steam broccoli until fork tender. I like using frozen Seamfresh broccoli as I can heat it up in the microwave while cooking the rice. You can also add the broccoli to the crock pot about an hour before the chicken is done to cook it all together.
Step 2: Add the tender broccoli to Slow cooker.
Step 1: Cook rice according to the rice package either on the stovetop, rice cooker, or instant pot.
Add the rice to a bowl and spoon the Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli over the rice for a delicious and hearty meal. Garnish with cheddar cheese.