Brunswick Stew is a fall time favorite of my family once the temperatures start to get cool!
Imagine it is fall in the deep south. All of the leaves are at peak season, colors of red, yellow, orange, and brown fill the landscape. There is a coolness in the air, with the temperatures dipping into the low 40’s. It is misting raining and you want nothing more than a bowl of warm, delicious soup to hit the spot. That is where this recipe kicks in. There is nothing better on a cool, misty night than a bowl of this smokey goodness. You got to try this recipe for Brunswick Stew!
Brunswick Stew is basically a chicken stew, but with a smoky flavor.
Brunswick Stew is basically a chicken stew, but with a smoky flavor. The history behind it is fascinating. Mention it to a few people from the South and you will find out. Some claim it originated in Brunswick, Georgia which would make sense. Others claim it came from North Carolina and even Virginia. We are not here to debate the origination, we are just simply sharing how we make it.
I like to make mine with leftover chicken that I smoked. The smoked chicken gives it a nice smoky flavor. If you do not have any smoked chicken, any chicken will do. You can also grill some chicken to help enhance the flavors.
Check out these two sauces that I prefer to use in my Brunswick Stew (Affiliate links). For this recipe I used the Sticky Finger Carolina Sweet. This was not a sponsored recipe and I purchased the sauces myself.
[amazon_link asins=’B008Y69YMC’ template=’ProductAd’ store=’soutfoodjunk-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’1a3495b5-bd70-11e7-829c-e12c8c0b0de3′]
[amazon_link asins=’B00CS8BFY2′ template=’ProductAd’ store=’soutfoodjunk-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’5895f961-bd70-11e7-bbd1-9ddefe0c9b3e’]
- 6 Cups water
- 1 tbls Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 can Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Barbecue Sauce I prefer Sweet Baby Rays or Stickey Fingers Carolina Sweet Sauce
- 4 oz Tomato paste
- 1-2 Cloves garlic Minced
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1-2 pds Smoked chicken
- 1 med Onion Chopped
- 6-7 med Potatoes Cubed
- 16 oz bag frozen Sweet Corn
- 16 oz bag frozen Lima beans
- Start with a large stock pot and add in all of your wet ingredients. Water, Worcestershire Sauce, Stewed Tomatoes with juice, Barbecue sauce, and tomato paste.
- Turn your burner on high.
- Next, add in the minced Garlic, Cayenne Pepper, Salt, and Pepper.
- Stir well to combine all the ingredients before adding the remaining ingredients
- Add in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Once your dish has reached a boil, turn burner down to a slow simmer.
- Cook until vegetables are soft and tender.